Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Getting into the spirit...

Most people love the holiday season.  Me, it brings lots of anxiety.  I hate how busy the holidays are and it makes me not want to participate.  Because I wanted to do things different this year and give the kids a good holiday season we decided there would be no commitments.  We aren't going anywhere and are taking it day by day.  We have a few things we would like to do, like take the kids up to the snow for a few days and I would love to take them to the zoo while its decorated but right now nothing is set in stone.   It made for a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We actually enjoyed the holiday.  And I am hoping it is the same for Christmas.

But another thing that happened when we removed the stress, I got an itch to start decorating.  Something I rarely want to do.  Usually it is a tree and stockings for us.  Last year I got fancy and bought some garland for the mantel but that is about it.   


The table started all of this...


Jeremy and I each found a really cool table theme that we liked on Pinterest and ended up combining them.  Does the plaid look familiar?  Yes, it is the same fabric my red scarf is made out of.   And the candle holders Jeremy made out of a branch he cut of the neighbors tree that hangs in our yard.  Throw in a few cinnamon scented pine cones, tea lights, and gold sparkly things and we have a table setting I love.  Now I feel like I need Christmas dishes.  Can you say intervention!


I couldn't find the fabric I usually use for my tree skirt anywhere so I improvised with a little leftover plaid.


And then I got this idea that I wanted some kind of pallet sign for the mantel and our little reindeer with his red nose was born.  

And the trees came next.  A little glitter, a few cut up book pages, tulle, scrapbook paper, and a circle bunch later, I love the end results.  The snowflakes were a last minute addition that I feel like tie it all together.  The ones on the wall are me, the ones next to the stockings are all Jeremy. 


Our new Jesse Tree that doesn't have any decorations on it yet because we are running a few days behind because of all the illness going on in the house.   The kids also got in on the crafting and made their own little trees that I love.
Will we every be past the stage of the little people nativity?  I think not.  I love the simplicity of it.  

And that is our decorations.   I love how it all turned out. But most of all, I love how most of it is handmade.  I spent maybe $10 on all the supplies.  Next year my plan it to make coordinating stockings but I want to do it until peanut is born.    

Now I need to get off the computer and keep the kiddos from going stir crazy.  A week off for Thanksgiving and 3 more days off for illness these kiddos are begging to go back to school.   Hopefully it can happen tomorrow. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, leave me a comment and keep an eye on your inbox for a response!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...