Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Easy Honey Nut Granola



Rarely will you see a recipe on this blog that is by me.  Seriously, I follow recipes too a T, I refuse to deviate because I am just that way.  I have no creativity when it comes to cooking.  But granola is hard to screw up.  And after following a recipe the first time, I decided it needed some tweaking.  That's tweaking not twerking.   Sorry bad attempt at a joke.  Anyways, I know I have made mention of my LOVE for granola before.  I make it 2 or 3 times a week. So I thought I would share my recipe with you.




Oatmeal

wheat germ

shredded coconut

brown sugar

cinnamon

chop the almonds

almonds and walnuts

melted coconut oil

stir

spread evenly over 3 cookie sheets

drizzle with honey

bake at 225 stirring every 15 minutes until the wet ingredients are dry usually about 30 minutes

Here is the non picture version.

Easy Honey Nut Granola
adapted from StoneGable

6 cups Old Fashion Oatmeal
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 cups Almonds-- It is probably easier to buy already chopped/sliced almonds but I buy ours in bulk and then chop them in the food processor
2 1/2 cups chopped pecans--same as above
2 cups coconut flakes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil-- not necessary but it really does put this granola over the top, if you don't want to use coconut oil, I used olive oil the first time and it wasn't too bad.
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla
honey

Mix all the ingredients except for the honey together.   If you use coconut oil, melt it, then mix it in.  Distribute the mix onto 3 cookie sheets so it is less than 1/2 inch deep.   Drizzle with honey, I use a decent amount of honey here.    Bake at 225.   I set the timer for 15 minutes.  Stir it and then I keep resetting the time for 15 minute increments until all the wet ingredients are dry.  Remove from the oven to cool.  If you are impatient like me, put some in a bowl and stick in the fridge for 5 minutes, then devour.  

I like to eat mine plain or on top of yogurt.  Jeremy also likes to eat his like cereal with coconut or almond milk.   Next I am going to try a version with peanut butter to keep the husband happy.

A side note.  When one is taking pictures for a recipe, one should probably not allow the kiddos to help bake unless one is willing to clean up messes in between pictures.  Since I am not one to do that, you get real life messy photos.  
Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, leave me a comment and keep an eye on your inbox for a response!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...