Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Brighton Ann bith story...part 1

Thursday



Let me just say that if you are pregnant with number 3 you will probably want to skip down a few paragraphs because when they tell you number 3 will walk right out it is all LIES, big fat LIES!

Okay maybe that is a little dramatic but this was definitely my most difficult birth and after talking to mommies of 3 plus I am finding out that this is common.  Number 3 likes to make an entrance.

Well I think I am ready to re-live this experience. Well maybe not. I think Brighton was trying to make sure she is the baby of the family.  There are probably way to many gory details in this post for my male readers if I have any other than my husband, who was there for all the yuckiness.

Tuesday
I went into the doctor for my 39 week check up. I hadn't made any progress and I was feeling like I was going to be pregnant FOREVER! So we scheduled my induction for the 17th, my due date, but he also stripped my membranes. I had this done with both big kids so I figured there was a good chance of it working like it did for them but since Brighton's pregnancy was so different than the other 2, I wasn't 100% sold on it.
 
My plan that night was to finish the last 4 miles of my 120 mile running goal but then Jeremy asked me if I wanted to finish up Bristol's bed.  I am a big weirdo and love to paint so I jumped on the chance.  Plus this was like the last thing I felt needed to be done before we could greet Little Turkey.

Wednesday

I was having contractions all day long, they would go from every hour to every 30 minutes but they never got closer than that.  They also were not very painful just plan annoying because they made me think-- this is it.  Around 10 am I lost my mucus plug and started having a pretty constant stream of bloody show from there.  I finally allowed myself to get excited, I knew it would only be a few more days and we would get to finally find out if Little Turkey was a boy or a girl.    I was thinking it would probably be Saturday or Sunday because that is how it went with the big 2.  

Thursday
All night Wednesday I kept having contractions, not sure how far apart they were because I wasn't coherent enough to time them.  When Jeremy got out of bed that morning around 5 am I woke up enough to start paying attention.   My contractions were 20 minutes apart!   I was getting a little more excited.  Bristol had declared the day before (without knowing about my symptoms) that Little Turkey would be coming Thursday.  I really didn't think she was right but I thought it would be a cute story to tell if she was.   

I took the kiddos to the library for story time, all the while still having random contractions which were a little more uncomfortable, probably because I had Eldon climbing all over me.  

When I told Jeremy that my contractions were happening pretty regularly, his suggestion was that I should go get a pedicure when he got home.  Not one to turn down pretty toes, I happily went along with his plan.

My toes still look like this 3 weeks later.  .

I decided to get a pretty design so Little Turkey would have something extra pretty to look at during the exiting procedure.

I also let my Mother-In-Law know that we would probably be having a baby in the next couple days but I really didn't think it would be happening Thursday.



That night was a little cooler outside so Jeremy went for a run and I decided to finish up the bed.  There were a few spots that needed a second coat and I was hoping that when the mattress got there on Friday that we would be able to put it all in her room.  My contractions started back up and were anywhere from 13-20 minutes apart.   Since this is exactly how my labor went with Eldon I figured it wouldn't be until Friday that my labor actually got real.  My Mother-In-Law checked in to see how I was doing.



I was done painting the bed and not really in the mood to go to bed just yet so I decided to get a game of spider solitaire going.  This is kind of an addiction for me.

When I laid down I realized things were a little closer together than I realized.    Like I was at the 8 minute apart contraction mark and I was starting to have a hard time walking or talking through them.  So I did what any normal person would do.  I played a few more games of spider solitaire and I may have texted my mother-in-law.
I didn't make it to the 30 minute mark.  Jeremy ended up making the executive decision and called his mom when I was down to 6 minutes apart and pretty much begging for an epidural already.

So, I should mention, I am kind of a slacker when it comes to hospital packing. I don't see the point of packing a bag that you may need at 36 weeks or perhaps 42 weeks. So I just made a list. This may have kind of backfired on me because while we were waiting for my mother-in-law to arrive we were rushing around packing. My contractions quickly went from 6 minutes apart to every 3 minutes. And they hurt. Like hurt really bad. Natural child birth is not for me. I like my pain free births. I LOVE my epidurals. Well, when they actually work, but that comes later.


We got to the hospital at 12:27 am. An hour after I got there they finally finished checking me and decided to see where I was at labor wise and get the order for an epidural. I was at a 5 which meant, it was epidural time. I kept telling myself through every one of those horrible contractions that I only had a handful more to go before the happy medicine would be there to take the pain away. Boy was I wrong. An hour later we were still waiting on the anesthesiologist to arrive.

This is the thing, with Bristol and Eldon I delivered at a very new hospital that was staffed with amazing doctors, and my doctor and all her partners were exceptional. I was spoiled. Yes, I had to be checked in but by the time they got me from the triage room to the labor room the anesthesiologist usually walked in about 5 minutes later, ready to do the epidural. It was awesome.  They understood that when a woman in labor says she wants pain relief it means she wants it, and it should have happened 5 minutes ago. This time I delivered at a very small hospital that is in the middle of nowhere, and quiet frankly, after this experience, I would never go there again. I knew going in that it wouldn't be a peaceful experience like the first 2 times but I was trying to find the positive.

So back to my story.  It is 3:07 am and I finally get my epidural. Except it didn't work. I was in worse pain than before. I was completely numb on the left side but I was having constant hip shattering pain in my right hip. The nurse also needed to check me again. She had last checked me at 12:43. At 3:20 I was a 9 almost a 10 but the baby was still pretty high and my water hadn't broke.

After me screaming in pain for a while and both the doctor and nurse telling me it was normal to feel some pain the doctor came in and pulled the epidural catheter out a little because he thought that would work. It didn't. Another 30 minutes of everyone telling me it was normal to feel a little pain and me telling them that I had already had 2 kids and had never felt any pain, my nurse asked the doctor to redo my epidural. 

Stay tuned for part 2....  normally I am opposed to doing a multi-part post but this one is rather long so I broke it up into 3 parts.  In the mean time you can check out a few of the posts I did right after Brighton was born; introducing her, her first instagram picture, talking about our first few days home, and a whole bunch of phone pictures.

Update:  You can find part 2 here and part 3 here.

1 comment :

  1. I really need to write my #3's birth story! He's almost 20 months old! Of course... I did write #2's for her 2nd birthday.... :-S

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think, leave me a comment and keep an eye on your inbox for a response!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...