Thursday, September 27, 2012

Enchiladas

I am not very adventurous when it comes to food.  But I am a lot better than I was 7 years ago.   My main problem is smell.  If something smells weird to me I can't eat it.   I try.  But then my nose gets a whiff of it and its all over.   Poor Jeremy never gets anything with pumpkin in it at our house.  I CAN NOT STAND THE SMELL OF COOKING PUMPKIN.  I know I am in the minority and everyone loves pumpkin but not this girl.   Normally if I don't want something I will still make it for him but pumpkin is one thing I can not make.  It ruins my appetite for the whole day. Put like the good wife I am, I buy him a Costco pumpkin pie once a year. This whole clean eating thing has forced me out of my comfort zone.   It has me trying recipes with ingredient that sound horrible together but are surprisingly amazing.  I have also found that I do not like the smell of nutritional yeast but since most recipes calls for so little of it I can get over it because I can't smell it once I mix it in.   Which is a good thing because I have searched high and lo for this stuff.

Tonight I decided to try Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro .   I don't eat cilantro.  It is disgusting and once again  completely ruins my appetite.   POOR Jeremy.  This is another favorite thing of his.   When I was putting the dish together both Jeremy and I were turning our noses up at it.   It looked good but all of the different things in it really didn't sound good together like yams and chopped spinach.  Who puts those together? Then lets throw in black beans, onions, green peppers, and whole bunch of spices.  Lets just say our backup plan was the local Mexican restaurant and I already had my meal picked out.  Then it was time to taste them.   First up was Jeremy.  He is the tester of everything.  Even when we are at other peoples houses I have him taste the food before I will taste it because I look really weird when I start smelling everything.    He was like "Its definitely not a real enchilada" .   Well DUH it has yams in it.   But what does that really mean, is it disgusting?   Should I go put on real pants because my marine corps sweats are not appropriate going out to dinner attire. He then told me I needed to try it.  I proceeded to eat 4 helpings.  THAT IS A LOT OF FOOD FOR ME.  Even if I really like a meal I will normally only get a little 1/2 serving extra if I am still hungry but I really try to only eat until I am satisfied.  But I could not stop.  They were so stinkin good. Bristol was the only one who didn't eat tonight, well that's a lie she licked all of the avocado cream sauce off the top.

Lets put it this way, if I had more tortillas we would be eating this again for dinner tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.  It was AMAZING.  I doubt anyone I know would ever be willing to try this recipe but if you are willing to give it a go you will not regret it.

I did a few things different.  I didn't add vegan cheese.  To me that is a weird concept.  Maybe its because I am not a huge cheese fan to start with but I think it completely defeats the purpose of eating healthy to eat a very processed cheese flavor.  Why not just put cheez wiz or Velveeta on top of your food.  Its probably cheaper.  Of course as I already said, I didn't use cilantro.    I added 2 tables spoons plain Chobani Greek yogurt to the cream sauce. And I would use less lime in the sauce the next time, it was a little to much for me.

Oh, you may ask, where is the picture?  Well I was to busy shoveling the enchiladas into my mouth to think about taking a picture.  Maybe next time, because there will definitely be a next time.

Oh and how is clean eating going you may ask.  Well not really because I am sure no one really cares.  But I will tell you anyways.  I am loving it.  When we stick to it that is.  We may have had  a few coffee drinks, snickerdoodles, and MM's.   I feel really good on days we actually stick to it.  We do have our cheat days but I am completely satisfied at the end of the day.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think, leave me a comment and keep an eye on your inbox for a response!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...